Do you know that 70% of your pet’s immune system cells reside in their gut?
The immune system is the body’s day-to-day defense against anything unfamiliar, such as bacteria and other immune-challenging concerns. The immune system and intestinal microbiota develop over your pet’s lifetime in a symbiotic relationship that helps to protect your pet and keep them healthy.
Occasionally seasonal allergens and normal stress can disrupt this balance, causing the immune system to overreact to substances in the environment that are normally harmless. If you notice your four-legged friends are scratching themselves, sneezing, licking their paws, or shedding more than before, seasonal allergies could be at work.
How can you support your pet?
First, start by taking your pet to your veterinarian for an examination. Routine veterinary care can help to identify the reason for any changes in your pet’s behavior or appearance and recommended a plan to address any specific concerns.
For normal healthy pets, there are several foods and supplements that can help to support their microflora and a healthy immune system, including:
- Bovine Colostrum is an antibody-rich fluid produced from mother’s first milk during the first few days after giving birth that helps support the immune system.
- Mannanoligosaccharides (MOS) are special fibers from the cell walls of yeast that support the immune system and provide a food source for bacteria living in the gut.
- Krill Oil contains omega-3’s that are in their natural phospholipid form that are easily absorbed and supports a normal inflammatory response.
- Organic Turmeric contains curcumin, a potent antioxidant that helps support a normal inflammatory response.
- Bee Pollen is made by honeybees from the dried nectar of plants that contains antioxidant flavonoids like quercetin, that helps support overall cellular health and a normal inflammatory response.
- Apple Cider Vinegar is rich in acetic acid, which helps support a healthy intestinal pH and normal functioning of immune-system cells.
- Licorice Root contains phytocompounds, such as glycyrrhizin and isoflavones, that have antioxidant properties and support a normal inflammatory response.
- Dried Yeast Fermentate is a combination of Saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation metabolites and yeast cell wall fragments that may help with occasional seasonal allergies.
- Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) is a potent antioxidant that contributes to immune defense by supporting normal cellular functions of both the innate and adaptive immune system.
- Probiotics help support a balanced microflora and helps maintain normal functions of systemic and mucosal immune cells in the gut.